Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

MixTape: Mistakes

This week, Jen suggested: "As everyone is looking forward to a New Year and talking about resolutions, this week's theme will be Past Mistakes (not necessarily love related)." This was a tough one, until I thought about some of my resolutions for this year. They include being kinder to myself, more thoughtful to others, and working towards creating the kind of life I honestly want to live, one that will make me happy. Oh, and chilling the heck out about everything. Relaxing, not trying so hard. Learning. These are the songs I found to convey some of those thoughts and resolutions.

Jake Owen - "Startin' With Me"


I didn't make the same mistakes Jake sings about, but I have made plenty due to being selfish and not considering other people's feelings, as well as not having my priorities straight. I'd love to be able to go back and change myself, too. But I guess it's never too late to make a change, right?

Taylor Swift - "Innocent"


Unlike Kanye West, I have never messed up on national television (unless you count the time I went to see a live taping of Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and cheered at one point when the rest of the audience was quiet... but he just asked for someone to get me some Ritalin and it was all good). But it's OK. Taylor forgave him and wrote a nice song. I especially like this part:
Time turns flames to embers, you'll have new Septembers
Everyone of us has messed up too
Minds change like the weather, I hope you remember
Today is never too late to be brand new
Dustin Lynch - "Your Plan"


A lot of times, I make the mistake of trying too hard. I forget who's really in charge, and that I don't really have as much control over situations as I think. (See also: Zac Brown Band "Quiet Your Mind")

Gary Allan - "Half of My Mistakes"


Sometimes, mistakes lead to good things, even if we can't see them that way right now. Maybe they're not really mistakes. Maybe the only real mistake we make is getting caught up in what should or should not be happening, when we should be enjoying life and not worrying about regrets. Maybe something doesn't serve us now, and we wish it had never happened, but we may see someday that we needed it to happen. There was a reason for that mistake.
If I had it all to do over
I'm sure I'd win and lose just as much
Spend a lot less time on right and wrong
And a lot more time on love
Casting Crowns - "The Voice of Truth"


Above all, we should not be afraid to go out and live and make mistakes. It's part of learning, and after all -- that's what life is all about! Maybe we'll even do some things right. ;)

My Skewed View

No comments:

Post a Comment