Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Five Months

It's hard to believe, but my little man is going to be five months old on Friday.  We took him for his four month check-up on May 8, and he was 14 lbs, 4 oz and 24 3/4 inches.  He's still in the 50 percentile for both height and weight.  I was a little worried, because he hasn't been drinking a lot of formula, but it looks like he's growing fine.  At the appointment, we got the OK to start feeding him some solid foods.  So far, he's had rice cereal and oatmeal, as well as bananas and apples.  All have gone well, but he seems to prefer the oatmeal and apples so far.  Right now, he's eating a serving each of cereal and fruit a day, along with the same amount of formula that he was eating before.  I was afraid he wouldn't drink as much formula after eating so much solid food, but maybe the problem was that he was tired of all the fluids!  He's been eyeing our food for a while now, and he can sit up well, so I think it was wise to start him on the solids.  Plus, it's fun to introduce him to new foods.  I am using this website for guidance, plus some other information I have collected: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com.

Josh has been continuing to sleep through the night.  A few times recently, he's slept as long as 11 hours.  He's still not napping much during the day (he naps in the morning more easily than the afternoon), but he goes to bed at night with no problem and sleeps until anywhere between 5 and 7am.  Now, if I could get my butt in bed earlier and take advantage of that!  There's just too much to do around here once the little guy goes to bed.

The doctor told us that Josh should be getting more tummy time (we've been slacking in that area), and that he should be able to roll over from his belly to back.  Kevin put him on his stomach the next day and he rolled over for the first time.  He was up for the challenge, I guess!  That was also the day we gave him his first solid meal (rice cereal), so we were full of milestones that day.  I saw him in his crib (via our video baby monitor) this morning trying for the back-to-belly roll -- although he hates being on his belly so I'm not sure why he'd want to do that!  He made it onto his side.  He's pretty strong, so I'm sure it won't be long.  He's also working on his sitting -- he holds himself up well but needs some more balance -- and loves to "stand."  He's always looking for the way out of a chair or the lap of the person holding him, like he wants to get up and run around.  I think it's time for me to get into good shape, because I am going to be doing a lot of chasing soon!

He is still a very chill, happy kid, but has been getting cranky a lot more often.  Like I said before, he doesn't nap well, so he lets himself get overtired.  I also think he'll be teething soon (although I have thought that for a while) because the chewing of the hands is getting more intense.  I've also been told that late afternoon (when he is most cranky) is when most of their brain growth occurs, so they can often get headaches at that time.  Poor baby, it's not easy to grow so fast!  But I am not complaining; he is still a really good baby.

Kevin and I ordered some Muppet Show DVDs and have been watching them on the weekends (usually Saturday morning), introducing Josh to them.  He really seems to like them, and I am not surprised -- the big colorful puppets are probably pretty fascinating to him.  Plus, there is a lot of music, which he loves.  I walked into the living room one day and saw Kevin singing to Josh and Josh "singing" along to the music.  My guys are too cute.

Time to take advantage of that extra sleep time!

No comments:

Post a Comment