Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Writer's Workshop: Legends

2.) Share one of your "did that really just happen to me" life moments.

Sometimes I feel like my life has been a series of surreal events, usually in the sporting and political worlds. From attending the world premiere of Fever Pitch at Fenway Park, to hanging out with my bestie at a Kennedy birthday party at Hammersmith Farm, I've had some cool experiences. I've been lucky enough to have met some interesting people, as well.

I was a political science major in college and interned for a bunch of local politicians. I was a nerd with no life, so I basically volunteered for whoever needed it, along with my best friend. I remember helping out at a political fundraiser for a state representative. When our job (checking people in, taking donations) was done, we were allowed to mingle. I went over to get a few hors d'oeuvres from a table, and this older gentleman walked over and started chatting with me. He was really nice, but I didn't make anything of it until I walked away, and saw one of the state reps giggling.

"You must be in Heaven right now," the rep commented.

"Why?" I asked, clearly confused.

"I saw you over there talking to Bobby Orr!" he replied. He had sent him over, telling him I was a huge hockey fan.

DOH.

I had no idea. I didn't recognize him out of his Bruins jersey, and not flying over the ice after scoring the winning Stanley Cup goal (and 20 years later). I was too shy to talk to him after that, and never did get his autograph. I regret that now.

Speaking of shy... here's my kicker moment.

Sometimes, I actually did work for money. Crazy, I know. In my junior year of college, I started working at a local golf store. My boss was best friends with a local PGA star, so he knew many professional athletes. A lot of these athletes (and other local "celebrities") would come in to buy their golf supplies, so it was always fun to see who would come in the store on any given day.

One day, the store had closed and was empty, and I was cleaning up before heading out. I was daydreaming while placing gloves back into their proper packaging, when my boss came over to me.

"I'd like you to meet my friend," I heard him say.

Surprised, I looked up and said, "Hi." I looked at the friend. He looked familiar. I stood there for a moment thinking and then it hit me.

Cam Neely. Freakin' Sea Bass!

As I recall, I started shaking and could not say a word. I'm pretty sure my boss told me I turned a nice bright shade of red. The two of them just laughed and walked away. The guys at the store never let me live that one down.

Sigh.

I guess I was just intimidated by his Sea Bassiness?  We'll go with that. But really, he was my favorite. I may have been an idiot, but I was pretty excited. I just wish my boss had given me some advanced notice.

DSCN0279
See? So intimidating.

Years later, I saw him at a Providence Bruins game. I just happened to get in line behind him at Dunkin Donuts (seriously, I wasn't stalking). I tried make some small talk, but it was futile. It was just a desperate attempt to make up for being so dumb (literally) earlier in life. At any rate, I proved to myself that I can speak to him.

It's the little things in life, you know.

Mama’s Losin’ It

No comments:

Post a Comment