Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Invisible

I wanted to share with you a video that I discovered last night -- "Invisible" by Skylar Grey.



I listened to the words and it was one of those "Yes! That's exactly how I feel!" moments. And then I thought, I bet we're not the only two who feel this way. In fact, there's probably a lot more of us than we even realize.

There are certain people in the world who get the spotlight, usually because of some amazing talent, or beauty. Or maybe because they are too loud and obnoxious to ignore. But the rest of us just kind of blend into the background, like extras on a movie set. We're busy doing our own things, thinking our own thoughts, lost in our own worlds, and don't always take a look at the person next to us. Maybe we do, maybe we even care about them, but are too shy or unassuming to let them know. Or maybe we do let them know, and form a meaningful connection. Or not. There are so many factors involved in relationships between people.

Some people feel loved and wanted, whether it's because of something deeply rooted inside of them, or because they have good, quality people in their lives who make them feel this way. Others have trouble feeling this way, even if they do have those good people around them. Maybe they didn't always have that support. We're all programmed so differently, with different life experiences, but I bet every one of us has at least one person who truly cares about us. And God. He cares more about us than any human ever could. And He rules the universe, so that's a pretty big deal.

The lesson I've learned recently is twofold: First, we should never assume that no one sees us or cares about us. We don't know what other people are thinking unless they let us know. Second, we should let others know that we care about them, or at least that we see them there and recognize them as awesome fellow citizens of this world (or brothers and sisters, if you'd like). It doesn't have to be anything big -- even a "thank you" and a smile may do. Sometimes situations are complicated, but respect and politeness should always be given. If you can, talk to people, learn their stories. You never know, you may learn something very interesting.

This is something I want to work on this year. I am shy and introverted and most times, this stuff is outside of my comfort zone. But I am working on it, and compiling evidence that I am, in fact, brave. That's powerful stuff, and I hope it helps me, and others around me, stop feeling so invisible.

No comments:

Post a Comment