Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Writer's Workshop: Giving Back

3.) Write a 16-line poem about a moment from your childhood that changed your life for the better.

I can't think of one particular moment from my childhood that changed my life for the better, but I do remember a series of activities that helped me change others' lives: community service projects. I played with children in a battered women's shelter, worked on a farm for the Heifer Project, served folks at a soup kitchen, and helped build and refurbish houses with Habitat for Humanity. But my favorite project was working at the Food Pantry.
We referred to the job
As "lugging cans up the stairs"
But it was much more than that
And I helped out for years. 
Down at the food pantry
We'd sort and we'd pack
Cans of nutritious food
For each family to bring back. 
School mates and family,
Church friends and more,
We'd all work together
To help feed the poor. 
Community service
Was in my blood, I could feel.
And there was no better feeling
Than giving someone a meal.
Totally corny poem, I know, but it was a great experience. I have gotten off the track of giving back, and it's something I feel I need to get back to. Not really for any other reason than I feel compelled to help out. I especially like helping others to get a meal, probably because I hate being hungry more than anything, and don't want anyone else to have to be for too long. I often talk to my son about people who aren't as fortunate as we are, and the importance of helping them out. Hopefully, I'll be able to introduce him to some ways to give back pretty soon.

I've been thinking about this a lot, because it broke my heart to hear an announcement at church this Sunday that the food bank ran out of food during the holiday season last year, and that the Boy Scouts food drive didn't produce as much food as they had hoped this year. Please don't forget those in need while you're out shopping this holiday season. If we can all give a little, hopefully many will gain a lot.

Mama’s Losin’ It

No comments:

Post a Comment