Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

FTSF: When I Was a Little Kid...

674586-R1-11-12

When I was a little kid, I thought I was invincible.
I learned to ski when I was four and would just barrel down the slope like I was going to take off into the air at the bottom, and crashed into huge piles of snow like it was my job. Of course, that would be followed by the yells of my father, telling me I had to slow down or I would get hurt. And I did. When I was in high school, I had an accident -- I fell on some ice and scratched up my face pretty badly. I was shaken up after that, and I don't downhill ski anymore.

When I was a little kid, I thought I dreamt about putting a metal object into an electrical outlet.
Um, nope. That really happened. Probably explains a lot.

When I was a little kid, I thought I was pretty awesome.
I've heard stories that I would go up to just about anyone and start chatting, singing, or otherwise performing for them. I vaguely remember memorizing commercials to act out. Adults thought I was adorable, and would encourage me. But when I started school, the kids didn't like me. They thought I was arrogant (and I probably was), didn't like that I was smart, and didn't let me forget about my extra pounds and crazy hair. Some adults in my life didn't like my physical appearance, either. My self-esteem packed its bags for who-knows-where (I will find it, someday!) and I became withdrawn, shy, and awkward. I've never really gotten over that, and it has held me back in so many ways.

When I was a little kid, I thought my Nana and Papa would be around forever.
They were my rock, the ones who took care of me, and always encouraged me in everything I did. I worked hard to make them proud. I miss them so much today, and regret not being there enough when I was older and thought I had more important things to do.

When I was a little kid, I thought my great-grandmother's ghost was living in my grandparents' guest room.
Hey, you never know.

When I was a little kid, I thought I'd become a writer when I grew up.
Well, maybe there's still some hope for that dream. I just need to find something to write about. I also believed I'd be the illustrator for those books (children's books, preferably) but I really ought to stick to the photography!

When I was a little kid, I thought the Red Sox would never win the World Series again.
And at some point, I didn't think the Patriots or Bruins would ever win again, either. Glad I got that wrong. Reverse the curse! Huzzah!

When I was a little kid, I thought I'd grow up to have three kids.
I ended up with just one, but I'm very happy to have him. Being a mother is the one thing I always knew I wanted to do. Hopefully, I am doing a good job.

When I was a little kid, I thought hiking in the woods was the best activity ever.
Some things never change.

Janine's Confessions of A Mommyaholic

No comments:

Post a Comment