Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

One and Only

Time for Monday Listicles, part two this week. This week's topic is "10 reasons why you do or do not want more children," which was selected by guest list-picker Jen.

I have been getting some pressure lately about having another child, mainly because I am already 35 and if I am going to do it, I better do it soon. However, I like the way my life is now, and am not sure I want to have another one. Josh is my buddy, he's a great kid. I can go places with him and he rarely complains. I love that he's at the toddler stage where we can tell stories and have conversations and play. Also, when I asked him if he wanted any siblings, like his cousins or (referencing one of his favorite shows) "like Caillou and Rosie," his answer was a big NO, THANK YOU. (We get the "no" a lot, but at least he's polite about it.) But, maybe we do need to have another one so he learns how to share. Maybe he would love having a playmate and friend for life, afterall. Or maybe they would just fight and make things around here miserable. I guess you never know.

If I were a stay-at-home Mom, I would most likely have another one. But I am busy at work, and often get stressed out. I like to come home, have some quiet time with Josh, go through his bedtime routine, and then relax. Having another child would make that more complicated, and I am not programmed to deal with stress very well. Also: I did not like being pregnant (I'm fat enough as it is, I couldn't play hockey, and my body was more swollen than the Pillsbury Dough Boy's belly) and I am not a fan of the infant stage (staying still is not easy for me). Maybe I can just adopt a 1-year-old or something. I'd be more apt to accept that!

I probably sound pretty selfish, but having another child would affect my life, so I guess it's acceptable. We'll see what happens. Maybe I'll win the lottery or something. Fingers crossed!

So. No list? It was easier to write all that in paragraph form. Also, I don't want to leave this post with a negative feeling, especially since this is Thanksgiving week. Even if my sinuses are trying to attack me right now (I'm home sick from work today). Anyway... here's my list.

10 Reasons I'm Thankful for My Son
1. That smiling face greeting me after work, telling me that he's happy I'm home because "I love my mommy!"
2. He has fun no matter where we go -- Home Depot, grocery store, whatever. This makes errands much easier.
3. He loves to sing. This makes it acceptable for me to sing all the time, too.
4. He makes it his mission to make others happy. Pollyanna has met her match.
5. He is really into the stuff I used to like -- building bricks, puzzles, Little People, books -- and it's fun to play those again.
6. Teaching him about the world helps me to learn.
7. My imagination is getting the workout it needs.
8. I'm super shy and he's a good conversation starter.
9. Snuggle time.
10. He is smart, handsome, sweet, polite, healthy, strong... anything you could hope for. Sure, he has his moments, but in general he is a great kid, and I am proud that he's my son.

Joshua - Nov 2009 IMG_5349 IMG_1088
November 20 - 2009, 2010, 2011

I'm definitely thankful for what I already have. And if I do ever have a second child, and he or she reads this, I hope they don't feel like they weren't wanted. I'm sure I'd fall in love with them just as much as I did with their brother.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

1 comment:

  1. Happy thanksgiving. Nobody should ever be called selfish for taking the time to make the decision that is best for them and their family. And then change their mind too :)

    ReplyDelete