Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

MixTape: Halloween Edition

From Jen: This week's topic for our Halloween week is Scary songs. You may take full liberty with this topic my friends. Scary because of the content? The appearance of the performer or the song is just that darn bad. Or maybe you have some definition I haven't thought of yet. Get on it. I wanna know why those songs scare you!

I can't really think of any songs that actually scare me. I mean, as a child, I enjoyed scary movies, Metallica and Alice Cooper. I'd sneak next door to my friend's house to watch Headbanger's Ball. (No wonder I'm such a weirdo.) But, I mean, Alice Cooper was on the Muppet Show once, so can you really blame me for thinking he was cool?

"Welcome to My Nightmare"


My son has really gotten into Halloween this year. Big time. As in, when we come home at night, he turns on his pumpkin lights, and other light up decorations, and turns off all the lights. He loves it because it is so "spooky." He loves anything with bats or pumpkins, and has been writing his first word (besides his name), "Boo!" everywhere (complete with exclamation point). Apparently, weirdness is hereditary.

So, I was not surprised when he asked me to get him some Halloween music. I downloaded an album from iTunes that was decent, but his favorite has been the Fisher Price album. I think he had all the songs memorized by the second time he listened to it. We sing them all the time. Halloween has totally been like Christmas with him this year. A few of his favorite songs are:

"Monster Mash"


A definite Halloween classic. We've come up with our own version of the dance.

"Ghostbusters"


Welcome to 80s music, kid. I get such a kick out of listening to him sing this one, maybe because I used to love it when I was younger. He asked me about the song, and I explained it was from a movie. Now he wants to see the movie. I am thinking I should try to find the cartoons somewhere. I mean, I just got him eating marshmallows (s'mores!)... don't want to ruin it for him.

"Purple People Eater"


This has been a favorite of ours for a while now. Whenever I wear purple, Josh wants me to chase him and pretend I am going to have him for a snack. However, while listening to the song the other day, he realized that the monster actually eats purple people. So, now he tells me to beware when I'm wearing purple.

Then, there's my favorite Halloween song ever.

"Thriller"


I still love this song. Classic!

Mi familia doesn't celebrate Dia de los Muertos, but my Mexican ancestors may have. And we should, because it's pretty cool. These songs made me think of that holiday.

"Gravedigger"


This is one of my favorite songs. (I warned you that I was weird.) I heard it the other day, and thought that it symbolized remembering those that have passed on before us.

"Desperation Samba"


Because, what's a holiday without Jimmy Buffett? "Yo quiero bailar en México!"

Happy Halloween and Feliz Dia de los Muertos!

My Skewed View

No comments:

Post a Comment