Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Writer's Workshop: Back to School

This week, I'm following the prompt: 4.) First day of school!

IMG_3898

My heart was happy today.

Joshua was nervous about entering his second year of preschool, but as soon as we stepped into the building this morning, all fears were erased. He saw a few of his favorite friends from last year and just lit up (so much, in fact, that another parent took notice).

It's so wonderful to see how he thrives in school. He's so social, and so bright. Sometimes, he comes across as bossy, but he's not (usually) mean about it. The other kids still seem to like him a lot. He's funny and kind. I honestly think he will make an excellent leader someday. He knows what he wants and is not afraid to tell anyone (over and over again). And for a four-year-old, he has some decent ideas and basic understanding of how things work.

They told us the kids would be learning how to count to twenty and I laughed (in my head). Josh has counted past four hundred (he counts in the car, which is sort of annoying, but it keeps him entertained) and knows some basic addition. I started to daydream of an MIT scholarship.

Of course, it's way too early to make any sort of assumptions. I don't know what kind of success or difficulty will end up molding him into an adult. And yes, every parent thinks their child is God's gift to the world -- but in their own ways, they all are. Everyone's here to bring something valuable to the table, whether it's recognized or not.

For now, I am just happy to see Joshua have fun with other kids his age. He doesn't get to do that too often outside of school, and I can see how it just lifts his spirit. And this group of kids is seriously awesome. I was excited to see them, too.

Yay, school!

Side note: I failed today as Family Archivist of All Important Moments in Life -- in the photography department, at least. No photo of Joshua on his first day. However, since today was technically just orientation, I am going to make sure I get one tomorrow for the first full day of school! The picture above is from the end of last year; he wore the same shirt today, so close enough. :)

Mama’s Losin’ It

No comments:

Post a Comment