Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

MixTape: License to Chill

I'm playing along with Jen for Twisted Mixed Tape Tuesday. This week's theme is: "Relaxing slow jams. You wanna chill, you want your friends to chill. Any genre from rock to jazz to hip-hop, but it’s gotta be slow-jams." Yes, I realize I am a day late for this party... better late than never, I say! :)

When I first saw this week's theme, I thought it was going to be hard. I'm not one to really "chill" (although, I'd love to learn, trust me) and I try to avoid slow jams, as they make me want to curl up and sleep. Well, that's OK if I actually want to sleep, but not in the car or at work. Anyway, as soon as I started to find songs, it became easier and soon it was out of control. So, I'm posting more than five songs (please forgive me, Jen). I hope you enjoy them while chilling out with a cuppa tea, coffee, wine ... whatever.

Metallica - "Nothing Else Matters"


I remember being 10 years old and listening to Metallica on my Walkman (because my mom didn't like me listening to them) to relax at night. You know -- the old, cassette-based Walkman.

Man, that just made me sound old.

Jake Owen - "Anything for You"


I like the bluesy feel to this one, and it's a pretty sweet love song. I'm a sucker for those.

David Nail - "Mississippi"


I love these bluesy songs. Definitely good chill out music. And David Nail is pretty amazing.

Billy Currington - "Walk On"


This has a nice, steady, relaxing beat, and I love the melody and story. Even if it is kind of sad, which is another thing I find when I listen to slow music -- many of the songs are sad or make me feel sad, so I only really listen to it, or want to listen to it, when I am sad.

Sometimes. I'm complicated.

Seether ft. Amy Lee - "Broken"


Another sad one... it's been that kind of week.

Alison Krauss - "Carolina in My Mind"


Alison Krauss is so amazingly talented. I could listen to her sing the Constitution and I'd be relaxed. No offense to James Taylor, but I love this version of his song. And now I'm missing North Carolina and my family there.

James Taylor - "Sweet Baby James"


I felt bad, so I let James sing, too. I love this song. A cowboy song that mentions Boston? Perfection! This one makes me miss riding the Mass Pike and now I want to go to the Berkshires. I really need to get out more.

Daughtry - "September"


I just had to! All Daughtry music relaxes me, for some reason. Must be his voice.

Jason Aldean - "Staring at the Sun"


Just a cool song. At least, I think so.

Jimmy Buffett - "Jimmy Dreams"


Jimmy Buffett is the master of chill, in my opinion, and this is one of my most favorite songs ever. "Take it all in, it's as big as it seems. Count all your blessings, remember your dreams."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need to curl up and get some sleep. Zzz.

Jen Kehl

No comments:

Post a Comment